- The inauguration started at about 10:45am. The opening prayer was said by a member of the Board of Trustees of the NGO, Mrs. Oyawale.
- The conference of Old Student/Alumni Association in Western Nigeria’s Inauguration of Executive Committees organized by Educational Initiative for Development in Western Nigeria took place at plot 3, Golf Resort Drive, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, Ogun State on Thursday 4th January 2018. After the introduction of all attendees, the Managing Trustee of the Educational Initiative for Development in Western Nigeria Mr. Adebowale Thompson in his welcome address expressed his joy and gratitude for the presence of the executives despite transport difficulties. He further expressed his assurance in their qualification, competence, commitment and ability for the assignment ahead. Finally he thanked them for accepting the invitation of a selfless service to our fatherland.
- A Trustee of the NGO, the Head of Service of Ogun State Civil Service, Mr. Abayomi Sobande shared the vision of the conference “Schools of the Future Now!” He charged the newly inaugurated Executives to keep the fire burning noting that Government cannot solve all the challenges alone, hence the need to put in place task teams comprising of the Conference of Old Students and Alumni Associations that would work in tender with ideals and objectives of the Campaign for Alma Mater Endowments to achieve a better platform to secure schools of the Future.
- Mr. Sobande also called on stakeholders in the educational sector, market men and women, artisans among others to rise up and return to their schools to “Do Something!” no matter how small in order to improve the falling standard of education in the country. The Chairman Board of Trustees of the Educational Initiative for Development in Western Nigeria, Mr. Michael Oyawale inaugurated the Executive Committee of the Conference of Old Students/Alumni Associations of Western Nigeria as follows:
Professor Biyi Afonja
I. REGIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Professor (Mrs.) Yemisi Obilade – Capacity Development
- Chief (Mrs.) Falilat Ogunkoya – Omotayo – Sports Development
- Chief Sunday Oduntan – Diaspora Affairs
- Mrs. Hafsat Abiola – Costello – International Partnership and Gender Issues
- Mr. Tunde Yadeka – Mathematics
- Elder Sola Adeyemi – Membership Mobilisation
II. STATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Professor Delana A. Adelekan – Chairman
- Alhaji Kunle Adegbite – Secretary
- Mr. Joseph Onabanjo – Science and Technology
- Chief Kasimawo Laloko – Sports Development
- Engr. Agboola Ademola – Infrastructure and
- Mrs. Oluyemisi Rosiji – Arbitration and Legal Matters
- Bunmi Adebayo – ICT
III. OGUN CENTRAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Chief Funsho Ogun – Chairman
- Engr. Kayode Adeniji – Infrastructure
- Mrs Olusola Apampa – Mobilisation and Gender Issues
IV. OGUN EAST EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Alhaji Kehinde A. Ogunfowodu – Chairman
- Alhaji Korede Lawal – Infrastructure
- Mrs. Faosat O. Oresegun – Science and Technology
IV. OGUN WEST EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Otunba Tunji Faluyi – Chairman
- Mr. L. A. Owodeyi – Secretary
- Responding on behalf on the new executives, the Patron Prof. Biyi Afonja who was ably represented by Mr. L. A. Owodeyi appreciated the EIfDW for the opportunity given to serve, he assured that the various task teams would ensure that all hands are on deck to achieve the objectives of the Initiative.
- In his acceptance speech, the chairman, Ogun State Executive Committee of the Conference of Old Students/ Alumni Association of Western Nigeria, Prof. Delana Adelekan appreciated the call to serve and noted that it is not just to rescue the school system but to restore them to world-class standards. He stated that the State Governments need to be educated about their mission and the important roles expected of them for that mission to succeed as follows:
- Master-plans must be available to guide the development of schools that will pass the critical test “Schools of the Future Now!”
- Encroached school lands will have to be recovered;
- Capacity Development for Teachers would be foremost priority;
- Schools Sports are to be given comprehensive attention to win away the minds of our youths from violence and cultism into more productive and positive engagements;
- Creation of Education Support Trust Fund through necessary legislation to provide sustainable capital injection for these programmes.
6. He added that advocacy visits to stakeholders would be initiated as well as liaising with others in diaspora to achieve the desired goals. Finally, he expressed the team’s willingness to work as in the Ogun State Anthem, Omo Ogun, Ise Ya.
- The management of Educational Initiative for Development in Western Nigeria thanked all the attendees for their presence at the conference despite all odds. All the media houses present: OGTV, OGBC, NTA Abeokuta, Rock city Fm among others were acknowledged. Special thanks went to OGBC, OGTV and NTA for being a part of the Campaign from inception, especially the state owned stations at almost no cost. Dr. Tunde Lemo was also appreciated again for the donation of the building in which the inauguration was being held. The closing prayer was said by Alhaji Korede Lawal at about 1:00pm.